The Buddy Walk® is a fun and rewarding opportunity to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome and celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month. Whether you have Down syndrome, know someone who does, or just want to show your support, your participation and generosity is greatly appreciated!
The Buddy Walk® was established in 1995 by the National Down Syndrome Society to celebrate Down syndrome and to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. Anyone can be a buddy!
Thanks to your support, our 14th Annual Whatcom County Buddy Walk will be held on Sunday, October 8th, 2017, Noon – 3pm, Downtown Bellingham at Depot Market Square!
|Click here to watch the 2017 DsO Buddy Walk of Whatcom County Video!
Join us for the 14th Annual DsO Buddy Walk of Whatcom County Sunday, October 8th 2017!
The 2017 Whatcom County Buddy Walk will feature a 2/3 mile walk around downtown Bellingham, and all ages and abilities are invited to participate. After the walk, there will be food, music, dancing, a raffle, and other fun activities for families to enjoy. Due to the growth we have experienced, we have found it necessary to adapt and listen to the community with your suggestions. Not only are we going to be downtown Bellingham in a space that will better suit our needs, we will also be using a different registration platform, events.com, and the peer-to-peer fundraising strategy through Crowd Rise.
Though there are many changes this year, it is still our greatest priority to have a welcoming and inclusive event that celebrates people with Down syndrome. If any of the changes prevent you from participating, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact Jessika: email@example.com or (360)715-0170 x 304.
Registration is Open!
Complete & return the registration form below or visit:https://events.com/r/en_US/registration/14th-annual-buddy-walk-of-whatcom-county-bellingham-october-92543 . You can also search for the “14th Annual Buddy Walk of Whatcom County” in the search bar at Events.com.
- For instructions on how to register on events.com and set up your Crowd Rise Page, see instructions below or Events.com & Crowd Rise bullet points It’s pretty straight forward once you visit events.com and crowdrise.com, but we are always happy to help!
- Once you’ve registered, head over to Crowd Rise to join your team, or create your own, and help us raise money to support Down syndrome Outreach in Whatcom County! For more information, see our Crowd Rise page: https://www.crowdrise.com/14thAnnualBuddyWalkofWhatcomCounty
Your encouragement and help allows us to provide valuable support to the Down syndrome community including New Family Welcome Resources, legislative advocacy, family support and connections, and so much more.
The support provided by community members and businesses through monetary donations allows us to develop our program and respond to the needs we experience and hear daily from families and individuals.
We hope you feel empowered and inspired to get involved! Create a Fundraising Page. Make it fun! Celebrate the person with Down syndrome in your life, whether it’s you or someone you know! See how many people you can get involved and donating to your page!!! You might be surprised how many people are looking for a way to contribute and are happy to help our cause.
Want to Get Involved? Here’s How:
Donate & Help Raise Money
The money raised will support local programs for individuals with Down syndrome. With everyone’s active participation and generous support, the possibilities for great services and events become endless!
Visit Crowd Rise
Ask your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers to donate and help support our local program. You can donate on specific team pages, or on the DsO page, “14th Annual Buddy Walk of Whatcom County”. Every dollar raised provides the opportunity to support outreach, education and inclusion programs in our community. https://www.crowdrise.com/14thAnnualBuddyWalkofWhatcomCounty
Down syndrome Outreach is a volunteer committee of family members and compassionate friends. Volunteers are always needed on the day of the event to help set up, give directions, hand out information, and more.
For a rewarding experience and the opportunity to help your community, contact Makenna, The Arc’s Volunteer Coordinator, to learn about volunteer opportunities or to sign up as a volunteer: firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-715-0170, ext. 205.
Encourage friends and family to join you!
Organize a Team
Organize a group from your workplace, school or community and support people with Down syndrome while building team spirit. Get involved and start today!
Use Events.com to Register for the 2017 DsO Buddy Walk & Fundraise Through Crowd Rise
- Head to https://events.com/r/en_US/registration/14th-annual-buddy-walk-of-whatcom-county-bellingham-october-92543 or search for the 14th Annual Buddy Walk of Whatcom County in the search bar at Events.com
- Click to add in the number of people you are registering, selecting Individual with Down syndrome, Child 5 & Under, Child 6-12, and/or Adult 13+. Then click the Register Now button.
- On the next page, fill out the information for each person you are registering, including their name, birthdate, and contact information (you do not need contact info for child registrations).
- Next, confirm your t-shirt sizes. T-shirts this year will be green again, so let us know if you’d prefer to reuse last year’s!
- Submit your registration, and head over to the CrowdRise page (follow the promts sent to your email or on the confirmation page at Events.com) to begin setting up your team and raising money to support individuals with Down syndrome and their families through the Arc of Whatcom County! More info at: https://www.crowdrise.com/14thAnnualBuddyWalkofWhatcomCounty
- Once on Crowd Rise you can choose to Donate or Set Up Your Own Fundraiser page, which helps to raise money for DsO and maintain the program which serves your community.
- To Donate: a few simple steps and you can donate! Click on Donate To a Fundraiser. Select a Team you want to donate to (ex: Down syndrome Outreach, or another “team”) & choose your donation amount. You can also Join the team of your choice, see below.
- To Set Up Your Own Fundraiser: Click on Set Up Your Fundraiser & Join the Event:
- Join A Team: if the person you are walking for already has one set up, search their Team Name & join their team. (ex: Down syndrome Outreach, or another “team”)
- Start Your Fundraiser: This allows you to start your own personal fundraiser/team in this event. Fill in: your Team Name; fundraising goal and anything about your team; you can add a photo, if you would like; and get the word out – share your link to facebook, your email, and twitter.
Congratulations! You are all set for the Buddy Walk! Thank you for your participation and for spreading the word about this incredible event!
If you encounter any issues with our registration system, please email email@example.com with a brief description of the problem. Thank you!
If you would like to pick up paper materials for registration, please visit our office at 2602 McLeod Rd, M-F, 9am-12pm.
Check out our Facebook Page & share the event!
**Have you heard the Buddy Walk will be held at Depot Market Square in Bellingham? The parking lot across the street from the Opportunity Council is offering a Reduced Rate of $1.00 to park in the lot on October 8th., for Buddy Walk participants!
1115 Cornwall Ave., Bellingham
Once you arrive, parking can be paid by individual by calling Call to park. Signs are posted on the lot with the phone and location number.
This event is being held in an accessible location and sign language interpretation is provided.
The Buddy Walk is co-sponsored by Bellingham Parks and Rec.